IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Electronically Transfers Your Federal Tax Return Information Into Your FAFSA.
- EASY: Transfer info with the click of a button.
- FAST: Instantly retrieve your information.
- ACCURATE: Correctly fill in data fields.
- Log in to your current FAFSA, or start a new FAFSA at FAFSA.
- In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a "Link to IRS" button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
- Click the "Link to IRS" button and log in with the IRS to retrieve your tax return information.
- Review your tax return information, and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
- Check the "Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA" box, and click the "Transfer Now" button.
- Review your federal tax return information that has been transferred into the data fields on your FAFSA.
- TRANSFER: Depending on whether you filed your taxes electronically or by mail, you may be able to use the IRS DRT in as little as two weeks from when you filed your tax return.
- REMEMBER: If you submitted your FAFSA before you filed your taxes, you can still transfer your tax return information. Log in to your FAFSA and update your tax return status to "Already Completed." You will see the link to the IRS DRT.